Cyclo-cross, CX, or just ‘Cross is a great aspect of cycling that’s accessible to all – here are some of the reasons why you should try it!
- You can race CX on any bike….(in local CX races). Many people ride CX races on mountain bikes, on winter bikes with knobbly tyres on, or even hybrids, so you can always give it a try first before deciding to buy a CX specific bike.
- Races are short! Most races are about an hour or less, so just about anyone can come along and try. This means that even the most serious CX racers don’t tend to spend long hours training.
- CX is great fun! Cyclo-cross might include a little tarmac, but it’s largely off road, on tracks, gravel, grass, and through the mud. Wherever you ride CX it’s fun!
- Fitness – ‘Cross involves jumping on and off your bike with a little bit of running, so it certainly helps you keep fit through the winter. Riding on grass and through mud is always a pretty good workout and there are the extra benefits of cross-training as you do run a little too.
- Improve your bike handling skills. All those different and often slippery surfaces mean you soon sharpen up your balance and co-ordination, which carries through to other aspects of your riding making you a more confident rider in general.
- It’s friendly – CX has a reputation as one of the most friendly types of cycle sport. Yes, people can be very competitive, but they are always really sociable events.